The Oxford Bus Museum has its origins in the Oxford Bus Preservation Syndicate, which was set-up in 1967 by a group of bus enthusiasts. They had the foresight to see that buses and coaches of significance to previous generations should be saved and preserved for future generations to enjoy (before they were lost for all time). Beginning with just one vehicle - which can still be seen and ridden on today - the collection grew until permanent premises were needed.
Since 1984 the museum has been at the old railway station yard in Long Hanborough. Generous assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund has enabled us to house our collection under cover and to display it to the best advantage for you.
This AEC Regent is typical of the sort of double-deck, open platform, front engined bus that operated around Oxford City in the 1950's and 1960's.
"All aboard and
Click here to view and download a PDF which contains a double-sided A4 sheet of our bus Fleet List.
For many years most of the buses operated by
the City of Oxford Motor Services Ltd were built
by AEC of Southall.
The AEC badge (left) was proudly displayed on
the radiator of most of these vehicles.
The first vehicle in the Oxford Bus Museum collection was this
immaculate 1949 AEC Regall III (registration NJO 703).
As well as many buses built by AEC, our
collection also includes buses made by
Bedford (OB), Bristol (VRT), Daimler (Fleetline),
Dennis (Loline), Ford (R1040 & Transit),
Leyland (Atlantean & Leopard) and Morris.
We also have a very rare early electric powered